For the last few weeks we have had issues with the hens eating their own eggs. It was terrible. We tried many suggestions to get them to stop: adding fake eggs to the nest boxes, covering the fake eggs with mustard, and even filling eggshells with mustard. Nothing worked. We purchased nest box inserts that have a roll away design. The idea is that the hen lays the egg, is rolls down a slight ramp, and is deposited in a place inaccessible to the hen. That worked for us! Yesterday we got one egg but saw the remains of an eaten egg. Today we collected 3 fresh eggs! HOORAY~
Today was also a long and exciting day in the backyard. We moved the coop to a different location in the backyard. We dug out all of the remaining deep litter (a gross and difficult job) and roughly leveled the spot where the coop had been located. This was all done because tomorrow we are getting a huge pile of materials delivered to the house so that we can build a brand new coop for the hens! The gals are going to get a palace. It will be 5 feet wide by 9.5 feet long and 6 feet tall. It will be easier for us to clean but more importantly it will give the hens a lot more room to roam. We are very excited but it will be a big project! Hopefully we will have photos soon.